UNAM
On my first Monday in México, D.F., I went to the Universidad Autonoma de Mexico where I met Marie and Marie Noel, two French Post Docs that work for two Mexican volcanologists. I tried to hitch a ride to Popo, which did in the end not work out.
I also met with Philippe Lesage, a French seismologist, who is spending two years in Mexico as part of a EU sponsored project in Volcano monitoring. He is setting up automated picking and classification routines for seismic events on Popo and Colima. When he had visited Colima in May he had told me about the installation of the Clermont-Ferrand Voldorad on Popo, so I decided to try to figure out some more since this is a system that is very similar to our Hamburg systems and Popo is similar to Colima. In the end it seems like the two Universities that have these systems decided independently to set them up on two very similar active Mexican volcanoes to measure the ash clouds. :)
UNAM itself is far from being a beauty. It kind of reminds me of the Uni in Saarbrücken with the mayor difference of UNAM being waaaaay bigger. Both were built in a time when it was cool to use concrete plate and depressing colors but at least have a lot of green on their campuses.
Labels: travel
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home