Radar and customs
The Doppler radar that we are going to install on the flanks of Fuego arrived in Veracruz on January 6 as far as I can remember. Since then we have been filling forms, getting signatures from the university lawyer, handing forms in at government offices and of course paying a good amount of money for the customs procedures. Usually the week starts with Nick's statement that we will get it though the customs and delivered to Colima hopefully by Friday. Then changes to getting it through the customs by Friday and finally to hopefully next week. On January 18 Lea arrived from Hamburg to do the installation. This week she prolonged her stay till March 1 and we will get the next (and hopefully last) letter from the lawyer on Monday. Then the Equipment will hopefully be here by Friday...
This delays my holiday plans to March. Then I will probably take a plane to Mérida, visit the Yucatán peninsula and then slowly travel back to Colima visiting San Cristobal de las Casas, crossing the Guatemalan border to extend my visa and of course exploring Mexico City. This should take me about the whole month of March.
In the meantime I can reschedule my flight back to August. The radar itself has to be in Hamburg latest early September so it will be easiest if I just take it in my cabin luggage. This will shorten my stay to 10 month but I think that still is a pretty long stay abroad.
In the Caldera of Fuego there seems to be a little dome growing. This impression got stronger when looking at visible and thermal images John collected on his helicopter flight. He also writes a bit about the implications. Basically it means that we might enter a new period of activity with lava flows and maybe followed by a stronger eruption. But at this point that seems to be highly speculative.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home