A kind of logbook from a 10 month stay at Colima, Mexico

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Earthquake! :)

Last night at about 1AM we hat an earthquake. The USGS says it was Mw 5.7 and 35 km (20 miles) SSW of Colima. Well since the others all put it on one of the fault zones offshore I would not put too much trust in these readings. It was enough to wake me up but not enough to get me out of my bed.
The resco SP Seismometers were at full reading (as usual...). Fresnal BB also seems to be at its limits for some of the quake (at least in the .gif-plots).
The GFZ Potsdam also has a location but both don't seem to have Mexican readings in their location.
The UNAM in D.F. rates it at M 5.2 and 20km of depth. At least the map seems to be for permanent display. An earlier Colima earthquake got its own page. Well I assume this one was a bit too small.
Anyway it was my first earthquake in Colima and probably won't be the last one. ;)
Maybe I'll try a bit around with the German Seismo data later to see if I can find it there. I have not found any downloadable Mexican data yet.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home