Some more about Colima
This is a picture of one of the main streets here in Colima. Offroad trucks are pretty dominant but not completely useless when you consider the state of the streets. Another advantage is that you can transport almost any number of people in the back. It may not be strictly legal but is definitely accepted.
The traffic lights in Mexico are only for the cars. When you want to cross a streets it's a question of good timing and being fast.
When you walk this street to the west (left) you get to my temporary home where I will stay for the next three weeks. At the moment I'm pretty much the only person living there so I basically stay there for sleeping and spend my free time with the other internees at their house where I will move in when Jemile leaves. Sorry, I don't have any picture of it at hand. Maybe later. Going home takes about half an hour walking or some $12-15 (~1E) when taking the taxi. Well a bit of physical activity can't be too unhealthy.
At the center I am starting to work on seismic data. The data is anything but convincing (4 SP Seismometers, no transfer functions and 180° completely open, not really continuous data... well ok, at the site of one SP there also is a BB station) but Klaus seems to have done quite a job on that data and I will try to continue his work as good as I can. In the beginning it will be a lot of reading and try and error. For most of the time all the data we have are gif images of the seismograms that were created from real raw data... :|Colima itself can be considered quite safe. It doesn't happen that often that people get shot on the street (Klaus can only remember two cases in seven Months) and you usually can walk the streets in the evenings without getting into trouble.
Among the living creatures I found here were several mosquitos, one roach, a scorpion (5cm) (non-lethal version, hidden under a stone), and this lovely caterpillar (8cm) that I definitely do not want to touch and a whatever it is called (bottom right, 3-4cm) that is supposed to have a pretty nasty bite.
Well apart from the mosquitos that are inevitable I had no problems with nature yet.Labels: colima
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home